Monday, February 13, 2012

Clumsy Me

Sunday I was clearing off the dinning room table after breakfast and stubbed my pinky toe on the bench.  I heard some crunching sounds and it started to bruise and swell and become painful.  I thought I just stubbed my toe and took it easy.  Well as the day went on the swelling and bruising increased and the pain never went away. 

This morning it was still bruised and swollen and sore to walk on.  As as nurse, you tend to know too much, I was going through all these scenarios in my head.  Since the bruising and swelling was at the base of the toe in the joint and there was pain and my toe was a little numb, I thought maybe I could have a hairline fracture in my foot.  I made an appointment to see a doctor and she sent me for x-rays. 

Sure enough the toe is broken, which I thought, and there was no hairline fracture in my foot, thank goodness.  My doctor said I did a real number and to come look at the x-ray. Sure enough there was 4 fractures in my toe.  How do you get 4 fractures in a pinky toe?! I opted not to get a boot but to wear hard soled shoes.  I have to buddy tape it and try to stay off of it as much as I can and take it easy for the next 6 weeks.  I was I had a copy of my x-ray since it is quite impressive. Instead you get to see a picture of my bruised and swollen pinky toe.

Well this will teach me not to clean.  Maybe I should hire a maid.  My mom says I need to join the grown up lady slipper club and get some good slippers to wear around the house so I don’t hurt myself again.  I may have to look into that.

DSC03116

1 comment:

Larri-Lea said...

I am so sorry about your toe! I have done that more than once, and it makes you feel so ridiculous. And it hurts! Get well soon!!